View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Steve Kennedy

Default The Mystery of two Wheaties salesman's order books from 1939

P1011634.jpgI love a mystery gathering facts and fit the pieces together that might tell an unexpected story. This story starts with two Wheaties salesman's order books from 1939. They were used as a point-of-sale tool at grocery stores to increase sales. The first series promoted the Centennial of Baseball with eight different boxes to complete the issue that started in May 1939. The second series covered the players selected for the All-Star game who appeared on the backs of Wheaties boxes in August of 1939.
I found this Wheaties box at a card show in Boston. I think was used as promotional display by General Mills to show the history of their Wheaties boxes. The art work appears to be copied from a salesman's order book the punched holes from the book are copied exactly on the box. You might think why didn't General Mills use the original "Art Work" ? I have no idea the box is stiff, sealed, filled with hard filler and a label as to the history of the box and when it was used. I don't know when this General Mills promotion took place someday I will solve this mystery. May be you can help ? Visit my web site www.1939baseball.com or post a response. All the Best Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13- Wheaties Box.jpg (74.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 14a- Wheaties Salesman Book Cover Very Rare $1200..jpg (77.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 25-Wheaties Salesman Book Cover rare $1000..jpg (77.2 KB, 179 views)