View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Here is one that I had before I sold it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200985215188...649&rmvSB=true

I STRONGLY beg to differ with SGC's idea of a grade of " 10 POOR" for that radiant piece. Several common, distinct clues are present that I wrote about in chapter 2 of my book. I realize SGC prides itself on the severity of their grading, but "10 POOR" What would they grade one with severe tape marks, a jagged lousy cut, writing on it, larger pin holes, and glue residue? There's too many fine qualities on your regal Mantle to have been stabbed mercilessly with a "10 POOR".

Then again, back in 2008, when SGC graded mine, which was missing perhaps a 1/64" stretch of the lovely frame, the graders gave it "AUTHENTIC". That was ok, I guess, considering I was the first collector who had ever submitted a 1960 Post Cereal to them, and they weren't sure it would fit into their largest holder. I was just relieved they were willing to give it a try, on my dime of course. As you can attest, they must shoe horn the card into their beautiful holder, and delicately cut own what's left of their black framing cardboard. It JUST fits, but the result is spectacular.

I put mine right smack dab in the middle of the cover of my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. Stands out just as Anita Ekberg!

1/2/2017 UPDATE: My 1960 Post Cereal Mantle has no glue or wax residue on the backside.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-02-2017 at 11:56 AM.