View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red machine View Post
thanks brian,
about a year ago i purchased a complete 1968 kahn's full strip set (with all variations) for $5,000 which was by far my biggest card purchase ever. I kept all of the cincinnati reds which was the bulk of the set and sold the rest for about $4,500. It ended up being a very nice deal. I checked with psa and they don't have a holder big enough for these. Sgc doesn't have one large enough either. Take care, phil

Thanks for sharing the story with us, Phil. You did right well, mate. I am so sorry neither PSA nor SGC have a holder large enough for an over-sized card this big. Here's an idea for your Johnny Bench, and any other you wish to treat with extra tender loving care. There's a company out of Ohio, i believe, called Capital Plastic Holders. Primarily, they produce coin and currency holders. When baseball cards got big in the late 80s, they tried to produce some products to draw some of our crowd. I don't think that worked very well. Now that cards, and coins, are graded, i'm sure their business is not as strong as before.

Long to short, I went with them prior to the advent of grading because they offered some over-sized card / postcard holders that were outstanding. It could fit my prized Stahl-Meyers and Dormand Postcards. Well, I didn't "screw down to China", so when I removed the cards to finally get them graded, all was good. My point, they produce custom-made over-size holders. You could specify 8 slots if you wish to house the Bench. Johnny would be extra heavy and extremely protected in the capital plastics holder.

Also, sometimes Capital includes a gold line imprint to i guess frame the subject. I would ask them to withhold that extra---to distracting. Their custom holders are very pricey but they're the best quality i have ever seen.

I almost forgot. I would also have a sleeve for the bench. Bill cole enterprises out of massachusetts produces their mylar snugs. They have a size that would be just right for the kahn's package. You might have to trim it down, but it would offer the very best protection in the world, along with the capital plastics holder.

Just my 25 cents worth of thoughts!

Take care, happy new year, and keep enjoying your kahn's big red machine team!!!!! A marvelous pick-up. ---Brian Powell

PS-- in the late 60s/early 70s, i bought a complete set of the 1968 Kahn's you have from Bruce Yeko of Wholesale Cards Co. On the east coast. Apparently, he had an arrangement with the Kahn's company to buy their leftover boxes. Well, when i got the set from Bruce, they were all beautiful, but they were also all just the baseball card trimmed off the package. I love yours better. There's something about a complete product package with a "free prize" baseball card that does it for me. Brings a big smile to my face. I own a 1962 Bazooka complete unfolded box, and a couple 1962 JELL-O complete unfolded boxes. So, I don't own many, but they're among the highlights of my small collection.

Again, take care, my friend, and thanks for sharing the neat photo of your beautiful bounty! ---Brian Powell

Thanks for sharing your exotic pick up of 2016. That is one huge beautiful significant Big Red Machine card, bro. I do not know if PSA has a holder that can encapsulate that baby without bending an end. Certainly, it's a most worthy submission.

Dazzling, simply dazzling.

What is the year on that bench, 1968 or 1969? Whatever, it's making me hungry for hot dogs!

You ought to buy my book, never cheaper by the dozen, as it goes right along with your gem, covering as it does the period i refer to as the golden quarter century 1947 - 1971.

Anyway, take good care of it!:d ---brian powell
[/quote]

Last edited by brian1961; 12-30-2016 at 11:36 AM.