View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Good strategy, Brian, and one I've adopted for quite some time. Who needs competition, less to no availability, and/or higher prices?

Best wishes,

Larry
Thanks, Larry. I wish you the very best as well. I sincerely hope you will come upon three choice gems to add to your collection over the course of the rest of this year. I frankly do not know a dealer who still helps collectors locate "the tough to find", and most toughies wind up in auctions. However, since there are so many auctions, choice items sometimes are not showcased or advertised enough to attract many bidders.

I will say this. My prized pieces were always ones that I paid top dollar for at the time, whether via auction or private sale. They have all appreciated; some have skyrocketed. The sad part today is that top dollar can be unnerving and downright mind boggling.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM CARDS / COINS / ET AL!

Seriously, you might consider placing an ad for specific wants in Sports Collectors Digest. Make the ad at least 1/8 page, so it will be noticed by the dinosaurs still holding onto their collections. Most of these guys couldn't / wouldn't pay the price of having their cards graded. You never know. It will cost something for the ad, which will last at least two weeks before SCD's next issue.

Many of the dinosaurs have an idea of what their cards are worth if graded, but they're content to still sit on them. However, most of the great collections have already been submitted to Mastro Auctions, when they were still a business, and other firms. Most of the pioneers are now deceased, as well.

Look closely at some of the currents ads in SCD. They're indicative of helping someone find cards they want. Again, you never know; leave no stone un-turned, as my dear mother used to say.

The thrill of the chase is great, but the thrill of successfully hunting down a dream item is much, much greater, particularly if it results in what would be termed "a great sea story", which is what I stuffed into my E-book on a CD, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

While I haven't sold many copies, you would think by the jacked up prices of the post-war regional / food issues, my book's subject, every dealer / seller bought a copy and studiously absorbed its 478 pages!

I better go---getting verbose. Cheers, mate. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-30-2017 at 11:54 AM.