View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Jason Greco

Default Print Group 1 timeline, and Ball, Brown, and Lundgren

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in the forum, and I did search, but couldn't find it, so my apologies in advance if this is the case.

I'm a bit confused about the timeline of production with Print Group 1, particularly as it pertains to Neal Ball.

As I understand it, the original 150 series of cards, began production in May 1909. This started with Piedmont and SC, which then included Sovereign (which is used as a baseline for the original 150, with corrections made), and later Hindu, which expanded the 150 series to include Southern Leaguers.

During this early stage, two players were traded. Neal Ball went from New York to Cleveland on 5/8/1909 and George Brown went from Chicago to Washington on 5/21/1909. However, both are included in the "updated" Sovereign 150 run with their original teams. This in and of itself seems a bit odd, but without knowing the exact time frame of the Sovereign 150 release, I suppose it is possible that there is an overlap in time frame which can explain this. Then there is Carl Lundgren, who was released by Chicago in May 1909, but managed to be excluded from the Sovereign 150 set, yet manages to be in the Piedmont 350 set. Doesn't seem to add up.

In addition, Neal Ball is not seen in a Cleveland uniform until the 460 series is produced, BUT is included in a NY uniform in the later PG1 runs of Piedmont 350, SC350, EPDG, and Old Mill, but not in the earlier produced Hindu set. Again, doesn't seem to add up. However, Brown in a Chicago uniform is seen in the Hindu set during the 150 series, but included in none of the 350 series (which seems right). Lundgren manages to get updated for the PG2 run, and both variations are in the Piedmont 350 set, which I find to also be confusing,since I would think based on his release date, would limit the 350 run to only the KC variation.

What am I missing? Wouldn't logic suggest that all three of these men wind up in the same sets based upon their team changes happening within weeks of each other, and very early in the 150 series? Neal Ball, more so than Lundgren, confuses me.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315