Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
Any lawyers out there: How is this not:
1} mail fraud
2} Theft by deception

I thought both are criminal offenses and why can't ebay be held accountable.
I think Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act protects ebay. Ebay is a venue much like this forum. Venues don't generally get held accountable because of that law. It defines who a publisher of information is and it protects venues in that respect.
I can't count how many times I have had to laugh at lawyers who sent me Cease and Desist letters for what others say on this board. I usually call them, laugh at them, tell them to study up a little, tell them to F-off and hang up. I have never heard from one again after that scenario. Unless ebay is complicit in the specific issue they probably can't be held accountable, generally speaking. Just like I can't be held accountable for what others say on this forum, legally speaking. I am obviously not a lawyer but that is my layman's take on the issue with ebay. As far as going after a bad ebay seller, it would probably need to start with who got ripped off and his local authorities. Federal authorities would have to be interested in the issue and that is not always an easy battle itself.