View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 07:01 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Nice cards, nice score. I'm always on the lookout for gray backs and have sold several. You'll probably get some PMs from collectors here based on this post. Ultimately, it's your decision. Consigning them is always a good option (PWCC, Probstein, any auction house) but that can take a month or two to get paid on. You can always sell directly at a price you're comfortable with and I'm sure you'll get a couple offers here.

It's always tough to value grays and the hammer price can vary significantly. It can depend on which particular card it is and if two people who really want it get into a bidding war. Strangely enough, there's been an influx of grays on eBay over the last month so there's quite a few comps to look at. I'd say you could expect anywhere from $1k-$2k from each card so somewhere around $2k-$4k total.

Good luck.

Edited to add: the Smalley appears to be the even more scarce 'glossy white' gray back for what that's worth. The glossy white versions don't have the dulled out look most gray backs have. Maybe 1 out of 50 is glossy white. Doesn't always mean the sell price will be significantly more...but it's worth noting.

Edited to add (again): There's a 4 Smalley and a 4 Rush on eBay in sold listings. Combined sell price was $2,300. You'd lose about 13% in fees so net about $2k. The 4.5 would probably go for a little more and the glossy white may add a premium...Maybe not. So combined total of $2-3k is probably more realistic.

Last edited by rsdill2; 05-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.