View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 06:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Don't buy high grade vintage or autographs without good provenance, graded (opinionated) or not. Problem mostly solved. I have never sweat over an autograph. I have never bought one. And I only have one higher grade card and know where it came from before being graded. No doubt there are altered cards in high grade holders but at least they are real. A fake autograph just ruins whatever it is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Do we also start stating: “this T206 Mint 9 Bat Off Cobb is presumed to be unaltered and NOT trimmed to achieve its pinnacle grade”???? It’s NOT just autographs that require a “leap of faith”, and if collectors think it is, they are only fooling thrmsrlves. Bottom line is, like it or not, the current state of the hobby is built upon the “assumed” expertise of PSA, SGC, JSA, MEARS, etc., and their card grading, autograph and game used assessments. Until someone can do consistently better, their “opinions” (if that’s what you want to call them), will continue to be accepted by most auction houses and collectors as gospel. If we start hedging on their grading/autograph decisions, where does that leave us? I’ll tell you where...back to the pre-grading and authentication years where ramped “wild-west” fraud ignited Operation Bullpen.