View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Thanks Rhett

Have you seen the back of the to confirm for certain that it is a Type 2? I understand your reasoning and don't disagree, but the others you cite also had a Type 1 version that used the 1917 pose. Davenport has no 1917 card, which points to him either not having a Type 1 card (likely) or being the sole Type 1 card to use a non-1917 pose (unlikely). I will assume he is Type 2 going forward, and hope to see a front/back scan combo to put the matter to rest.

If Davenport is Holsum Type 2, then there are 55 confirmed of that Type by my count. Of that total, I only show the following 16 Type 2 cards with a background in the pose; i.e., an updated or different photo from the 1917 E135 cards:

Alexander, Bodie, Cobb, Coveleskie, Davenport (assuming he is Type 2), Evers, Henry, Hooper, Hornsby, Killefer, Lewis, Speaker, Stock, Strunk, Wambganss, and Wingo.

Oddly, the Coveleskie and Henry cards were changed even though neither really belonged in either Holsum set, having already played their final MLB games more than a year before the earlier set was printed. Instead of removing these outdated players, the publisher granted them an additional appearance with a new pose. Also, Wambsganss was changed from a correct, 1917 photo in Type 1 to an incorrect photo of Fritz Coumbe in Type 2--the same incorrect photo Mendelsohn had used for Wamby in his m101-4 set (hmmm...)

In any event, does anybody else have other Holsum players showing a background other than those on my above list?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-19-2019 at 08:40 PM.