View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
(One of) the worst possible things about being in California is the pizza situation. Out here, it's 95% bread with just the tiniest whisper of sauce on top. It's like dipping a loaf of Wonder Bread into an empty Ragu jar. Places that advertise "New York Style Pizza!!!!!!!" (yes, that's how it's usually written) are so full of crap. Theirs is comprised of 'only' 94% bread. Yeah, big difference. The best day of my life in the past few years was when my sister flew out to visit and carefully packed 8 slices of Little Vincent's pizza (from Long Island) in her luggage. I ate like a king that night.
Depends on where you are, Darren. I do agree that most of it is crap but we have some really good stuff here in L.A., and that's coming from a NYC expat (me) whose favorite food is pizza and who suffered for decades with cruddy pies from schlockmeisters like Straw Hat. Mulberry Street (Beverly Hills, Sherman Oaks, Encino) does a serious NY slice. Crust as thin as Rocky Lee's used to be. Joe's Pizza (Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, DTLA) also has a respectable thin crust (but you need to add oregano to make it really choice). The one thing no one can get right out here is Sicilian, but I can deal with that.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...