View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 07:56 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
To your first point, then what value does grading have?

To your second, it's not like the video was posted on Brent's website or www.psacard.com for anyone to see it except for people like us who read message boards.

Since you agree that the "alterations" are widespread ("conservation" just being subterfuge), and PSA and other grading companies are INCOMPETENT at their core mission of detecting alterations, where do we go from here? How long until the word actually spreads among the collectors that aren't on message boards and nobody pays PSA/Beckett/SGC thousands of dollars a year (or card) on grading fees because there is no longer a premium awarded for high-grade cards?

I don't really see the cleaning as incompetence. This board educated me on the concepts of alterations on older cards and it is clear there are techniques that you can't consistently detect.

There are loads of collectors like me who buy raw cards and filter them and send in the best ones. That is not going to stop. Obviously after hearing Ken Kendrick's comments on the Wagner the whales aren't going to just quit buying cards either.

As for grading the idea that it is going to die is ridiculous. This to me sounds like people boycotting Chick-fil-a. Plenty already weren't going there and they don't impact demand and as others drop off new people emerge.

The overwhelming percentage of people who submit cards have no clue how to doctor them. Those are the facts.