View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Probably been said before, but I don't understand the logic of the point of the thread. I'm not a seller of high-end cards for the most part so this isn't self-serving, but didn't we get into this hobby because we love cards, examining cards, learning about cards etc? Why have we abdicated so much of the work we used to do before a purchase? Is it trust in Auction Houses and TPG's or just laziness? I got burnt plenty of times before TPG's and each time I learned something new.
Scott,

I can’t answer for the OP, but I did get into the hobby because I do love (well...really like a lot) cards. Personally though I didn’t get into the hobby because I like “examining cards” or really anything else other than I like the player/s I collect and cardboard was cool. I know I didn’t do much, as you stated, conducted “work” before the purchase. Maybe I’m lazy, but I thought it was a hobby and not a job. At this point I really don’t trust the grading companies, auction houses, or some of these resellers since the almighty dollar seems to be supreme. I’m sure I’ll begin to start to somewhat trust certain auction houses, but will be gradual. I won’t be purchasing high grade cards though. The thing you said that got me is that you’ve been burned plenty of times and learned from it; I don’t want to get burned at all.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 08-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.