Thread: frank nagy
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Dave Carson

I'm not sure how I first got one of Frank's auction catalogs, but I was very surprised when I received my white butcher paper and string wrapped package of winnings before I sent any money.

I really looked forward to going through those auction listings and figuring out my bids. As a high school and college student for most of the period I was bidding I never had a great deal of money available. I'm sure if I could find my first checkbook I would see a lot of checks written to Frank.

I have a 1963-64 Parkhurst Hockey set that came entirely from individual card bids won in Frank's auction over the years. I'm also sure that most of the T-206s of various Cleveland players (including Cy Young, Addie Joss and Nap Lajoie) came from Frank's auctions.

Having read about the sheer volume of cards Frank had and seeing some of the cards consistently show up in the auctions, I often wondered if there were multiple winners for some cards, like the Parkhurst hockey commons. Did everyone who bid an amount he considered fair get a card? It seems that I remember winning a pretty high percentage of my bids.

Thanks for the thread and thanks for all those who posted the various articles in this thread.