View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Matt Ferroni

I don't know guys, I feel like it is so sacrilegious on these boards to discuss the value of cards because you inevitably get blasted for not being in the hobby for the "right" reasons. In my humble opinion, no one can tell anyone else their reasons for collecting ANYTHING are invalid or inappropriate. Yes part of the excitement of collecting cards to me is the possibility of retaining or increasing in value - some of that value is the non-quantifiable owning a piece of history and some of it is feeling like the $100 I may "invest" in a card today won't be worth $0 in 20 years. But the comparisons to mutual funds are a stretch to me. Yes this is fun - but part of that fun for me is the inherent value of the cards (just like it was when I was 10 thinking that a $5 Kevin Maas RC was the most precious thing I owned).

I just have low tolerance when people defend this holier than thou "honor" of collecting cards and tell others "go do xxx instead" if you are looking for an investment. I'm sorry, but that is not your call to make. Part of the fun of collecting for me is speculating about the future of cards - no, not to put my kids through college but wondering if my $500 collection will be worth $1000 or $5 in 20 years. Neither one may make me collect any more or less today but it is definitely a driver of the enjoyment.

Last edited by mferronibc; 09-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.