View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few,

My first pack of cards in 1969, went to the local drugstore/5 and 10 with dad and got a pack of cards. We sat in the car and looked at them. He said "Hey this guy is pretty good" Reggie Jackson. I still have the card, and maybe one or two of the others that I don't recall. I only bought one pack that year, and one in 71. I didn't really get into cards until late 73.

A UD holoview die cut of Emmitt Smith. It was a big deal at the time I got it. I usually just bought packs and took them home, but the shop guys were really into opening them, and convinced me to open the handful of packs I'd bought.
Got what must have been for them the full VIP thing. Lots of ooh and ah over the card and a semi ceremonial putting it in a free toploader. I kind of miss having card stores all over the place, some were cool, others not, but they were all interesting. (Like the place where the guy basically kicked me out because someone called him to go look at some sort of real estate deal. I had some stuff picked out, and he couldn't be bothered because he had to leave right away. No cards for me! WTF? )

Got some Albert Pujols and two other guys triple autograph card out of a blaster box from Target. Bought it, opened it at home, looked up the #/10 card online put it away and that was that. Probably the most expensive card I've ever pulled if you go by what it was worth at the time I got it.

Those sort of illustrate how the hobby has changed.

Honorable mention should go to 94 signature rookies. I wanted to finish the set, after all it was only 50 cards... I kept getting an auto card of some hyped kid who had signed with the Yankees. Why, Why do I keep getting this Jeter guy?! (Ok, it wasn't that bad, but I did get three of them, and it was sort of annoying. )