View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Thanks for the question - we have not reinvented grading - the reason for the scale is just to try and help bidders - conversely we could say nothing about the condition of the cards but we wanted to try give some guidance for those who participate in the sale.

Because we are not graders, we created a simple classification system which breaks the cards down into three easily understood categories for those who wish to use the labels as reference.

Using our Low, Mid, High classifications is a choice and - each person should use their own judgement when purchasing as each person has their own opinion of condition - thats why the TPGs always tell you "It's an opinion business".

We at Crazy Uncle Auctions are just trying to be helpful to the bidders.
I try to be positive with other auction companies. I think competition and cooperation are good. But I have to say the bolded statement above is one of the biggest cop-outs in the hobby and a huge pet peeve of mine. If you're not a grader maybe selling raw cards isn't for you?

You've got lots of incredible autographs, and some amazing graded items. Some of it far beyond the kind of stuff I've had consigned, but to say you are being helpful to bidders by giving them LESS useful information about exactly the kinds of items for which MORE information is warranted for bidders to make an intelligent decision, seems a little disingenuous at best.

Why not use the accepted grading nomenclature and give a range, especially on the sets? "Cards range from VG to EX/MT with a majority approx VG/EX with few creases" and then listing specific grades on key cards will go a LONG way towards making bidders feel comfortable on large raw purchases. Put yourself in the bidder's shoes, what kind of information would encourage you to bid?

Sorry, I really do wish you the best, and take the constructive criticism for what it's worth considering the source, but I pride myself on my honesty and ethics and I really believe you are doing your consignors and ultimately yourself a disservice. If you think this is uncalled for let me know and I'll remove it. But since you addressed my question publicly I feel it's OK to answer in the same fashion.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 11-08-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: subject verb agreement