View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Eric Moskowitz

OK, here's one that might appeal to the group. I think this might be the 1907 Norwich team from the New York Central League. Anyone have any insight on what that means? Was this a professional team, and would it have equated to a certain tier/class (ie, Class D) of minor league baseball, or more like an independent league?

The note on the back is great and says, "The bunch that can whip Carbondale. All right!!" The postmark was hard to decipher, but I eventually figured out that it was sent from Norwich, NY, sometime in August 1907, to a Mr. J. Merva in Scranton, PA.

All the players appear to be wearing "N" jerseys, save for the guy at the bottom left, who looks like he has a big, if faint, V on his chest. The guy with the suit and the scorebook suggests at least a modicum of organization or professionalism, and the wooden stands have — if not an outright press box — some kind of area with dining chairs and not just bleachers. The guy second from left has an x penned on him on the image; the back doesn't ID him, but I would guess maybe it's the sender?

Any thoughts on this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N team baseball.jpg (77.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg N team back.jpg (76.9 KB, 56 views)