View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
This is one of those pennants that is 100% cloth, including the spine and tassels. And that raises yet another question! Even when the cloth pennants came into style, they still used mostly felt for the appendages. (By cloth I mean the thin material that frays and fades but doesn’t get moth eaten.) I wonder why the 100% cloth pennants are so rare.
I’ve never really understood the “cloth vs. felt” thing either. I personally prefer the true felt because it has a richer look. But the two styles had a huge decade-long overlap, so perhaps it just came down to which material was cheaper to buy in bulk at the time.

I think we sometimes over-analyze this stuff. But I guess that’s part of the fun in collecting.

That said... I hate all of the loose threads that stick out along the borders of the cloth style pennants. Does anyone else trim these off? Hope it’s not considered an alteration, as I’ve been know to trim off a thread or two. And I know I could get them past PSA (if they slabbed pennants, that is!)