View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
So my wife and I opened Xmas presents last night because we will be traveling and wanted to do it at home. In my stocking was a T206 George McQuillan. I was stunned, it is an absolutely beautiful card and I just stared at it for a half hour. I usually collect post-war low-mid grade vintage and I still have absolutely no idea how she knew (better than I did even) how amazingly cool these cards are in person. I haven’t previously paid much attention to tobacco cards being mainly unfamiliar with the players, but really enjoyed reading all about McQuillan’s history with the Phillies (my team) and had no idea to this day he holds the career ERA mark for the team! It seems the mix of art/rarity/mere fact that they are +100 years old makes these cards incredibly special and I look forward to this being a start of a new focus of my collecting and sharing baseball history with my kids. A shoutout to the coolest wife a guy could have!
Great story! I was just about to go down that road before trimgate knocked me off the rails, thanks god.