View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 11:41 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I would like a tpg like this, but I doubt the people with a Jeter rookie would like it. Am I wrong that a 7 sells for $250 and a 10 sells for $166,000. Maybe I missed it, and the 10 is some type of refractor/insert? You can't really put that horse back in the barn.
Agreed about the horse and barn. The whole pricing structure as we know it would have to collapse and folks would loose tremendous amounts of money. The only way the exponential price differences at the high end of the grading scale work is if a TPG has put a number on a plastic holder and people buy and sell based on that number, not what they can see with their eyes. Its also how the registry sets are ranked - and that is where the big money lives. How could I know that my set is better than yours (or anyone else's) if I have not had a TPG look at each card and give it a grade?

I'd like to see an authenticator/alteration detector come into the market, but I don't think it would be sustainable (without the number grades) without significant change to the market.

We've only been under the spell of TPGs for a relatively few years, but just like smart phones, there is no going back now.

And just for full disclosure, 99.9X% of my collection is raw, untouched by the soiled hands of he TPGs. However I won't proclaim that it is 100% untouched by the trimmers/forgers.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 12-26-2019 at 11:52 PM.