View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 08:07 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
I hear you there...

I have personally experimented with various molds and a holder really cannot be made smaller than PSA's without getting to the brink of compromising strength. Beckett, SGC and PSA have done a great job designing their holders (kills me to give any credit there, but they earned it). You could, perhaps, take up to 1/16" on each side which would give you almost .13" smaller both ways and still maintain a workable ultrasonic seal and still be able to holder '52-'56 and smaller (using an insert).

Each mold and horn you make requires a pretty hefty investment. Truth is, a workable new holder would look pretty different than what folks are used to and actually be a touch BIGGER. Not huge, but bigger. Each would be a virtual art presentation.

Try using a different material for making the slabs and get away from the idea of an ultrasonic sealer. There IS a material and A WAY to seal it that will revolutionize the grading industry but you have to find it if you are planning to use it. Waterproof, UV blocker, flame retardant to over 600 degrees, unbreakable, and once sealed would require a band saw to open. The molds would require heating the sheet and press molding it so no injection molds. Could be done in your garage if you had the right stuff.

Member since 2009