View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 05:26 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Thanks! I'm rather torn as to what direction I want to go. The first time around, I attempted the entire 407 (minus the Mantle) which proved really daunting. Too big of a bite, in hindsight. So I'm looking to build something smaller, but can't decide what. One thought is working on a run of Dodgers players, which is an amazing group of players in the set, and none are prohibitively expensive, except perhaps for the Robinson.

The other thought, which I'm leaning towards, is doing a short run of cards 1-80. Another thought I've had is trying for a master short run, getting black and red backs, the Page/Sain error, and some of the color varieties.

But I"m definitely enjoying buying raw cards. Much cheaper than slabbed, and it's nice to not sweat grades so much, and focus more on visual appeal.
I was pretty motivated to get to the point where I'm at with my 52's but I have found lately, due to needing Pafko, Berra and Martin, my attention/collecting has now switched to mainly hockey cards that I had in my youth.
I still watch/look for those 3 cards but of course trying to find them either in the 3-4 range or on the cheap is getting tougher all the time.

I have a mix of black/red backs and have also been keeping an eye out for those that I don't have in those colors, plus some cards that I think need updating due to their condition.

With needing so many high number cards, including Mathews, Campy, Wilhelm to name a few, it is highly unlikely I'll ever finish the set.

Good luck with whatever rout you choose. It's definitely a great set and worth collecting, imo.