View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Eric Perry

The next batch of cards I picked up was purchased at the Philly Show in early December. This was my first time flipping through boxes to find cards for a vintage set. At other shows, I had mostly just looked at showcases, searching for higher profile cards. This experience was quite different, and altogether much more rewarding. I had set out to finish the Phillies team set that day, and accomplished this in fairly short order.

One card from this group, #81 Wally Westlake, seemed fairly normal at first glance. However, when I looked a bit more closely, something strange caught my eye.

Westlake is pictured in a Cardinals uniform.

This was made even stranger by the fact that he hadn't played for Saint Louis since 1952. It was one of three Major League teams he was part of that season.

I suppose Topps figured they would simply use this image, though. Westlake only played 5 games (the last of his career) for Philadelphia, all of them during the 1956 season. So, game-action photos of him in a Phillies uniform weren't exactly easy to find. Somehow, I imagine they still aren't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-81-Wally-Westlake-(Front).jpg (77.2 KB, 402 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra