View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
I hear you there...

I have personally experimented with various molds and a holder really cannot be made smaller than PSA's without getting to the brink of compromising strength. Beckett, SGC and PSA have done a great job designing their holders (kills me to give any credit there, but they earned it). You could, perhaps, take up to 1/16" on each side which would give you almost .13" smaller both ways and still maintain a workable ultrasonic seal and still be able to holder '52-'56 and smaller (using an insert).

Each mold and horn you make requires a pretty hefty investment. Truth is, a workable new holder would look pretty different than what folks are used to and actually be a touch BIGGER. Not huge, but bigger. Each would be a virtual art presentation.
I guess I was thinking more about thickness than anything else. I don’t see why we can have a “slab” that’s basically a top loader with a gasket and the 4th side sealed shut. Yes it would need to be taller to accommodate some sort of flip and no it would not be as strong, but I’ve honestly never once felt like I needed more protection than a top loader. Maybe some guys toss their cards down flights of stairs....I don’t know.