View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
It is one of my favorite audio books...note the audio version has different content than the printed books. I believe some of the interviews were shortened for clarity.

When Jimmy Austin talks, you really get a feel for how much love he had for the game. My favorite discussions were probably with Rube Marquard and Fred Snodgrass were probably my favorites.

Z
Back to the tapes, thank God. The five hours on the CDs are HEAVILY edited from the hundred or so hours of original tapes. That took a lot of work, as you can read about in the link I provided for the story of the making of the audio set. As for favorites, every time Neal and I had finished the edit of a new player for the set, we said to each, "That's my new favorite!" They're all great, in my not-so-humble opinion. Ironically, the one interview on the set Larry didn't like was Jimmy Austin, in fact he wanted us to take Jimmy off the finished product, a request we ignored after agonizing consideration. We loved his interview, and eventually Ritter came around to, also.