View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 03:51 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

I find it interesting how much differently I'm looking at these cards while building the set. In the past, I would have simply glanced at the name, muttered "common" to myself, and moved on without a second thought. Now, for whatever reason, I've had a paradigm shift. I'm truly seeing the cards, with a thrill of discovery that wasn't there before.
Man, good for you. Reading your thread here, caused me to slow down and take my time with my cards - to read them again and absorb them. I'm new to the forum here, but used to collect a long time ago. Unfortunately I gave away most of my cards (long story), but I still have a lot of great ones, and have started collecting again.

But what you're talking about is the way we looked at the cards as kids. Without words, just looking at a card, getting an impression of the player, the picture, etc. Your imagination was a part of it. The backs were informative, and entertaining with the cartoons. You dug the upbeat mini-biographies of each player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
This thread (specifically when the Polo Grounds was mentioned in the background of the one card) has me doing the same thing. Before that, I only thought of how something initially looked to me (and, much moreso, its value). Which led me to have no general interest in the '56s, especially when compared to my '55s.

But now that I took a second look at the amazing backgrounds in the '56s, I'm getting some commons just to appreciate that too. They are like nice postcard works of art. As a middle-aged guy who's always been a baseball player and connoisseur at heart, it's extra nostalgic.
And good for you too. These cards are works of art, IMO. I love the big Topps cards from 1952 - 1956.