View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 05:11 AM

Default January 2020 pickups

Happy New Year to everyone on net54!
I added a couple of small but fun pickups last night which I think are pretty cool.
1) A baseball youth medal from 1928 that honors a NJ boy's unique pitching accomplishment of hurling back-to-back consecutive no-hitters like Johnny Vander Meer.
Ironically, Vandy hailed from NJ (Midland Park) as well and was a youth pitching star during the same era. Vandy hurled several no-hitters during his youth, but not back-to-back. Unique & cool!

2) Two St. Louis Browns ticket stubs and ticket envelope to the game played on July 19th, 1953 @ StL.
This was Bobo Holloman's final game in a season that he pitched a no-hitter in his first ML start.
Two months later he was sent back to the minors, never returning to the bigs ever again.

Bobo Holloman has always been interesting to me personally. He is arguably the least likely pitcher to hurl a no-hitter, but he did it.
It's also important to note that HOF pitcher Satchel Paige also got his 32nd career save in this game.
Because of his late career entrance into the ML because of the color barrier Ol' Satch only had 33 career saves.
Pretty cool graphics on the Brownie's ticket envelope. I've never seen one of the from 1953 season, but I love all the color.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-13-2020 at 04:30 AM.