View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 07:31 AM

My dad is a huge collector of advertising signs, gas cans, gas and oil advertising, etc. He has been collecting that stuff since before I was alive (I am 40 now), long before it became "cool" to collect.

He has a 60x100 garage literally filled with the stuff. When the Pickers were coming to our area a few years ago, several people contacted the producers and told them about my dad's stuff.

An advance scout came out and took photos of everything. We have many storage trailers on the property filled with overflow stuff and doubles and triples of some items. My dad specifically said he would not sell anything on display, but they would be free to dig through the trailers on the property. The guy went into a few trailers with me and took photos of items (granted, this wasn't "junk". There were gas pumps, signs, etc in there.

The guy just seemed to be pushing items in my dad's garage. My dad said no. The guy seemed to be a nice enough guy. He videoed my dad's life story (youngest of 15 kids, both parents died by the time he was 14 and he moved in with an older sister who had 4 kids of her own by then). He went on to start a very successful area business that is still in business after 5 decades. We never heard back from the guy. He seemed to get a little ticked off when I was asking about the show and how it worked and it doesn't make sense for a show to show 2 guys driving thousands of miles on a show only to buy $600 worth of items. He said that "there's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes."