View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I agree with what eveyrone in this thread is saying. But I will say this for collecting vintage cards at low grades: it can be much easier and cheaper than completing a set of game used bats for a vintage team. Prices for bats, hats, jerseys, etc. of the big names have been rising high and fast! And game used collecting has been known to have some of its own frauds and scams. But, on the whole, what we collect seems infinitely more closely related to the game.
Unfortunately, it is true, game used stuff is not immune from the fraudsters.
I remember last year someone was trying to sell a Pete Rose game worn jersey on eBay. I almost bit, but at the last minute, I recognized the tiniest red flag, and walked away. Someone else did not though. I wonder how that turned out.
But generally speaking, for me, I have had pretty good luck (although not perfect) on the game used side than some of those other guys have had with the trimming debacles.
I do not play in the $10K - $100K circles, so I cannot imagine the sick feeling I would get if I just dropped a ton of money and found out my PSA 10 was trimmed (not to mention the home accounting office fallout!). So perhaps that has a lot to do with it as well. I can't afford the high end cards, so I gravitated to the more affordable game used instead.