View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff everyone! So neat to see all the meaningful pieces.

Some of my collection is on CooperstownExpert.com. Other pieces set me back for more but four pieces come to mind that would be hard to part with. If I could only keep one, it would be the Buckner contract. I also have five completely signed Topps, Donruss, Fleer baseball card sets from 1985-87. Those were super labor intensive and mean a lot. The names with links direct to the player pages on the site.

Here's a short description on each.

Bill Buckner's first professional contract. The first game I ever attended Buckner hit a homer, the Dodger Stadium faithful went wild, and I was forever hooked.

The second piece is a letter from Honus Wagner written to Ford Frick thanking the NL president for the lifetime pass given to Wagner. I just like Wagner's handwriting so much and love lifetime passes. You can see many different examples of lifetime passes by clicking here.

The third image is Pee Wee Wanninger's 1925 player contract with the Yankees. On May 5th of that season Wanninger started at shortstop in place of Everett Scott to end Scott's MLB record of 1,307 consecutive games played. Four weeks later Miller Huggins called on a young Lou Gehrig to pinch hit for Wanninger to start Gehrig's streak. I'm a sucker for the history of it all.

The final piece is a little rarer. Autographs of Bill Dahlen can be tough to come by. Though there are probably others in private collections that are better, this is the neatest example I've seen.

On the website, every member of the Hall of Fame has his/her (thank you Effa Manley) page, with about 300 non-Hall of Famers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckner-first-contract-pg-1-789x1024.jpg (11.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Honus-lifetime-pass-784x1024.jpg (11.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg wanniger-contract-447x1024.jpg (5.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Bill-Dahlen-autograph-792x1024.jpg (7.5 KB, 169 views)