View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Eric, thanks for the play-by-play of this beautiful set. It is probably my favorite Topps set and I was fortunate to finish it two years ago.

Just a couple of other thoughts on some of the recent cards you posted:

Carl Erskine - this is obviously not a posed photo as Carl is in his follow-through from an actual pitch, however, as you mentioned there is no sign of a mound - no dirt, no pitching rubber and no orientation to the other parts of the stadium. And it looks like Topps filled in the background of his portrait with an airbrush, trying to reproduce the color of the grass, but didn't quite get the texture. Strange backdrop for the action photo.

Joe Collins - I believe Collins is reaching for a off-course pick-off throw from the pitcher that strayed too far towards second base. He is off balance trying to catch the throw and this has made the runner go back to the outside of the bag and tag it with his trailing foot. Certainly not a routine play.

Tommy Carroll - Who is this colored middle infielder making the play at second base? Looking at the uniforms, my guess is that it is Jose Valdivielso, SS for the 1955 Senators.

Has anyone seen any of the actual photos that these cards were printed from, especially the smaller action photos? I would think that might help a man identify some of the other players in them.

Stay healthy and safe as we navigate through this difficult time. And thanks again for the analysis of these cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.