View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 06:22 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I second the notion that basketball is now Number 1 with young collectors. Recently, I have sold quite a few modern cards on ebay in the $20.-200. range. The Kershaw and Scherzer base rookies in PSA 10 went disappointingly low. However, my basketball stuff has done surprisingly well, way better than baseball, and they are not even rookies. Dare I say basketball is now King and baseball has taken the back seat? Appears so. There is only one name I would collect in modern baseball now that seems to have decent demand... Mike Trout.
It's ironic that the last baseball sets of significance were in '85, and then the age of most basketball card collecting starts in '86 (especially with the younger generation, naturally). As an '80s kid, I'd still want a million Bird/Magic rookies before a single '86 Fleer Jordan. But I imagine most collectors under 40 feel the opposite. Michael is still held onto as a kid's star. Larry and Magic are treated as past generation, and are practically forgotten by youngsters by comparison.

With the modern stuff, maybe there are just too many choices and too much production for anyone to care that much about most things. Unless it's Brady, Kobe, LeBron, or Trout. Even Kershaw isn't big enough to matter.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 04-19-2020 at 06:24 AM.