View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Darren, you're right-on with the example you give us. Mike Schmidt is one of the most beloved baseball players of all time, with an extra-strong (large) collector base. Gum card collectors relish rookies like no other, and even though Schmidty's is a 3 on 1 design, as they all were that year, that is his rookie, and the gum card bandwagon want it real bad. I'm sincerely glad for them the card may be easily had. Instant gratification, even though the card, as you mention, is not cheap.

Please, I have nothing strong against gum cards. Growing up as a kid, I would not have had much of a collection without them. I'll leave it at that, as I've already expressed my strong inclinations to pursue other items after I entered the growing adult hobby in 1972. However, while I was especially drawn to the regional / food and Topps test issues, I also was finally able to see and buy some 1952 Topps, both 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrigs, and a mass of different Ted Williams gum cards. I loved them all, but simply regarded as extra special the regional / food, and in particular among the Topps test their 1969 Super Baseball.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-30-2020 at 09:56 AM.