View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Curt

When I posted on the 80T thread, I didn't notice it was almost a decade old! It was less exciting to be adding to a very old thread, so this reply is less enthusiastic.

79 Rose is probably my favorite card image for that year. As noted, any of the AS badged cards are extra special and no all rookie trophies to compete with other cards makes picking the cards a bit easier too for me. My favorites will almost always be action shots too, although sometimes a portrait catches my eye. The 79 Reggie with the AS banner, for example. The Record Breaker cards were cool, with those red, white and blue name banners, too bad they were all lame posed shots. An action shot RB would have been top 5 for sure. The all-time record breakers were awesome as a kid, but the design isn't all that great. I remember seeing these old photos and wanting to learn more about the older players though.

I will say Carew and Brett are both great cards worthy of top 5, earning spots 2 & 3. I like most of Carew's mid-late 70s cards though.

Rounding out top 5 for me are Fisk and Cliff Johnson. Johnson works with the minimum vote per player rule, but Fisk had some epic 70s cards and this one is only so so compared to his 74 and 77 cards.

Several great pitching action cards would get honorable mention, like Reuschel, W. Wood, Kaat, T. John, Carlton, Messersmith, Wise, Goaassage, B Forsch, B. Lee, Borbon, M Keough to name several. Dan Driessen and Willie Montanez have nice fielding action shots that are somewhat unique.