View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
What strikes me most about those photos, is how few "old guys" there are at that show. Now it seems the show photos are dominated by the people that were kids in those photos. There just aren't nearly as many young people collecting as there used to be I guess. That was around the time I started collecting myself, and there seemed to be lots of friends my same age that were into it back then. Just an observation.
Context is everything. Back in the day shows were local or regional events, cheap to attend and set up at (I think my first table when i was 12 or 13 was ten bucks and I made all of $75 for the night selling postwar Topps cards), and cards were generally cheap. Kid-friendly. Not so much now. Doesn't mean kids aren't collecting, just that they aren't coming to the National or giant regional shows. Also, the kids tend to stick to the new wax (well, plastic) pack and pack busting areas at the big shows. Not much interest in 100 year old cards of dead guys, unless they are nerds like I was (am)...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...