View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Another neat issue from this group is the Mayo Smith. When I first saw the card, his lack of a glove or bat in the action pose caught my attention. It reminded me of a coach holding the runner at third base. What an odd pose for a player.

Then, as a look of dawning comprehension washed over me, I realized Smith was manager of the ball club.

I find it interesting how much differently I'm looking at these cards while building the set. In the past, I would have simply glanced at the name, muttered "common" to myself, and moved on without a second thought. Now, for whatever reason, I've had a paradigm shift. I'm truly seeing the cards, with a thrill of discovery that wasn't there before.
Yeah, even as a kid (6 years old), I was fascinated by the backgrounds of the '56's. Growing up on the West Coast, I never saw a big league stadium (I spent most summer nights at the Sacramento Solons PCL stadium) and looking at the backgrounds of 56's was like seeing the stuff on TV except they were in color. Does anyone know how they created the backgrounds? Were they just touched up photos or did they create paintings/copies of photos. I know they did paintings for earlier series of Topps Cards. It would be fun to find the artwork. Thanks for sharing Eric and y'all.