View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 05:55 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Postcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 167 (June 15, 2020- 167)

A couple of signed postcards showing Brooks late in his career with the white panel Orioles hat. I’m not sure who put these out, maybe Rowe, Broder or Bailey (maybe someone from here knows for sure), but I try to find examples of Brooks in different poses that I don’t have in my collection.
Mark,

You know I love Orioles postcards. Postcards other than team issues are a great way to pick up fringe players, that the Orioles didn't print. I'm by no means an expert, but here's some info I've picked up over the years. Based upon the postcard back you posted, I would guess Jeff Morey and here's why.

Postcards from guys like JD McCarthy, Mike Andersen, George Brace, Norm Paulsen and Don Wingfield usually have their names either printed or stamped on the back. James Elder printed a number on his postcards. So identifying those postcards are relatively easy compared to some of the others.

I've organized mine based upon the handwriting on the back. Here are some examples.

Mel Bailey postcards usually have the name and year written in the corner

SCAN8534.JPG

Jim Rowe postcards tend to be lower quality, in my opinion, and names in all caps

SCAN8539-1.jpg

I have this Jeff Morey stamped postcard and try to match postcards based upon his writing.

SCAN8535.JPG

Here are examples of what I'm talking about. The two postcards on the left are by Mel Bailey. The Dave Criscione on the right in a Jim Rowe issue (notice lower quality photo) and the Terry Crowley I would label as a Jeff Morey issue. It's not a perfect science.

SCAN8538.jpg SCAN8539.JPG

A few Brooks Robinson postcards

Jim Rowe and two Mel Bailey postcards

SCAN8533.JPG SCAN8532.JPG

Unknown odd balls

SCAN8530.JPG SCAN8531.JPG

I would love additions or corrections to my theories