View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Day 190 (July 8, 2020 – 190)

Today our small family is celebrating our son’s birthday. Brooks Comer was born on July 8th and was named after my hero. I don’t know how many people have named their son after Brooks, but it’s a lot; I’ve personally met quite a few. Brooks is married and has moved out of the house, but he’s a great young man and I’m very proud. He didn’t follow the baseball path but was extremely good in the martial arts and playing trumpet in the marching band when in school. I’m still giving away karate trophies from when he was competing in tournaments; he had over fifty 6-foot trophies…

"Brooks (Robinson) never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." - Gordon Beard

On this day in 1958 the Orioles hosted the All-Star Game in Memorial Stadium. While I don’t have many pennants here’s two from the All-Star Game. The American League came out on top 4-3 after a great performance by left-hander Billy O’Dell put away nine straight National Leaguers to save the victory for the American League. Gus Triandos was the only other Oriole on the All-Star roster in 1958.

Attachment 408721
Attachment 408722

Brooks Robinson didn’t make the All-Star Game until 1960 so I’ll picture his 1958 Jays Publishing 5X7 photo which coincides with the same year as the ’58 AS game played at Memorial Stadium.

1958 Jays Publishing photo

Attachment 408723