View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 08:57 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default I'm wanting to get started in pre-war cards

But I have no idea where to start. Here's my thoughts.

I've recently started watching the Ken Burns' Baseball series in my down time, and it's started the itch to want to get started in pre-war stuff. But my problem is I do not have a lot of money to put towards a nice collection. In other words, I'll never own a Cobb or Matthewson or Young or any of those huge, huge names.

Another problem I face is I don't deal in graded. Is buying non-graded pre-war a good idea? I'm thinking anything from like a T set (there's several and so many different backs) all the way up to a Goudy. Possibly a Play Ball type set. I'd like to just pick up a few cards of various sets just to diversity my collection.

Right now, I'm working on a few 1950s-1960s set, and I love the vintage. But I've never dealt in anything older than that. I would be buying on eBay or on here for the most part. Don't know much about auction sites/houses.

Before anyone asks, I did own a booth at an antique store for some time. But I've never owned anything older than the 1950s and have never seen anything older than the 1950s except for online. So I truly have no idea about any pre-war type cards or where to start. So please don't turn this into a thread making fun of me or questioning my asking about this topic.