View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
So, after July he pitched a grand total of 8.2 innings. So, I'll stick with his pitching a 1/2 season.
26 starts is more than half a season

Quote:
You also say that the Dodgers team E.R.A. was 2.95 for the year in 1964. Without Koufax's 1.74 E.R.A added into the mix, the team's E.R.A. would have been somewhat higher, I imagine. If somebody can calculate that that would be good. I don't know just how much higher it would be.
Looks like it would go up to 3.17.
Quote:
Give the man his due.
I have.

Quote:
But it's ridiculous to trivialize Koufax's achievements as merely being a product of location.
And yet he didn't reproduce that success *anywhere* else. Of all the ballparks he pitched at more than 5 times, only Connie Mack Stadium in Philly is even close - a 2.16 ERA. *EVERYWHERE* other than Dodger Stadium*, he gave up at least 50% more runs. Nearly half, his ERA was 3.50 or higher - and increase of at least 155%. It's naive to think that location didn't have a BIG part in his success.

* - among ballparks with at least 6 starts.

Quote:
Also, in response to the expanded league: Koufax had to face the great black and Latino players of his era, something the players of previous eras didn't have to contend with, sadly and unfortunately.
Yeah, those Mets and Astros teams were powerhouses

In all seriousness, this is definitely a big plus in Koufax's favor.