Thread: Crazy uncles
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDave View Post
Thank you Michael for those kind words. Here's the deal, I'm a history buff/nerd at heart. To have documents signed by George Washington, Ben Franklin, John and Samuel Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, and so on to me is like Doc Brown showing up with the DeLorean and taking me back to the Colonial days. I gave Aaron a signed document and/or a cut signature from EVERY U.S. President (From Washington to Trump) and EVERY U.S. Vice-President (From John Adams to Mike Pence). I mean has anyone even heard of John C. Calhoun who was VP for both our 6th and 7th Presidents - John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) and Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) or Hannibal Hamlin, VP for one of our most famous Presidents, Lincoln (1861-1865)…...I have, but I'm a geek. I further gave Aaron signed documents from 52 of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Basically I could have recreated the Declaration with authentic signatures (John Hancock, Charles Carroll, Benjamin Harrison.....some top names here). Everyone of these Presidential, VP or DOI signatures mentioned above were authenticated by either JSA, PSA or Beckett so you know they are real. Many of these items were beautifully framed in a reddish brown Cherrywood frame from the individual I bought these from who had the same love of preserving history as I do. Each frame cost well over $1,000 (he showed me the receipts) and they were all meticulous.

Now these documents were kept in a locked facility, temperature controlled for years. It is beyond disgusting to have left these out in front of my home in either 95 degree heat and/or a tropical storm. No warning, no protection, no nothing !!! And not to mention leaving $500K - $1MM worth of high end collectibles out in the open to anyone passing by to take !!!

There was over $75K-$100K in coins between thousands of silver half dollars, quarters and dimes from the 1800s and early 1900s plus high end coins like large cents from the 1800s and complete sets that he was instructed NOT to break apart and to list as a set, which he chose to ignore my instructions so now I am left with 2/3 complete sets.

This is not to mention the Blacksox memorabilia (ticket stubs to the games, signatures from almost every player on the team (except Shoeless Joe but I did have 5 Joe Jackson signatures from his wife as he was illiterate, plus a ton of other Blacksox items).

Then there was a ton of Yankee memorabilia 1923/1927/1928/1932 stubs/programs/autographs/bats/etc.

Historical autographs, Wright Brothers, Charles Lindburgh, Thomas Edison, Houdini, Civil War Generals, too many to list.

I could go on and on with the list of items he was consigned but bottom line is he lied to me, he screwed me, he avoided and hid from me, he had no regard for my items by dumping them and risking being ruined or stolen.....all to make the mighty dollar. Save those dollars, you will need them !!!!
I can't imagine consigning all this to a new and unproven AH. All the time, effort and expense it took to accumulate and preserve these pieces of history and you give it all to a new company called Crazy Uncle? No excuse for the deplorable actions of CU, but man it just seems very cavalier.

Hope it all works out for you. Really hate to see irreplaceable pieces of history ruined.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 07-16-2020 at 10:17 AM.