View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 07:21 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
Hi Guys,

I was born in York County, PA in 1968. My parents shopped at Queensgate Shopping Center all my life. I continue to do business there. I have been an Orioles fan all my life. I went to my first Orioles game at Memorial Stadium in 1975. To my knowledge, the Brooks Robinson Store never opened a store in Queensgate shopping center. If they did, it would have had to have been before my memories start - as Brooks was my favorite player from the start and I would certainly have taken notice if he opened a store in a Shopping plaza my family frequented regularly. So if it ever did open I would say it had to have happened before 1974, probably in the 1960s or very early 1970s and be closed by 1974-75. I started playing little league baseball in 1975, and I know there was no Brooks Sporing Goods Store in Queensgate when I got equipment for that year - or we would have went there to buy our stuff.

Queensgate, however, did bring in Orioles players to sign autographs in the mid-1970s. First ever major league autos I ever got were of Mark Belanger and Bobby Grich at Queensgate. That year was either 1975 or 1976. I still have that faded ball in my collection.

I do not know what the disk came from - but possibly one of these signings at Queensgate?

I would love to hear from anyone who can add anything to these memories.

Rich
Rich,

Thanks so much for your post. I think it adds a few pieces to the puzzle. From Mark's letter (Post #1901), it's obvious that during 1974, plans were being developed to open a store in the Queensgate Shopping Center. Rich seems to confirm that the store never materialized, which is why I haven't been able to find any information about it. I can only assume that financial and/or other delays contributed to the store never opening. Bruce Genther, who worked the store, confirmed that Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods closed in 1977. Perhaps, the disc was going to be used as part of a store opening promotion, that never happened.

It doesn't answer all my questions concerning the disc, but gives me hope that the mystery will be solved someday.