View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 10:17 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Where I am disagreeing with you and some of the others is about how much his home park had an effect on his numbers. By citing Drysdale and Podres, I wasn't going off topic, but wanted to illustrate how much more brilliant Koufax was at home than they were. The park is only going to do so much for you.

As far as the Kirby Puckett allusion, we don't need to know "what if" with Koufax. Yes, it would have been great if he had been able to compete longer. But he established himself as a Hall-of-Famer in the time he played. Given how much better he was at home than his Dodger contemporaries at the time, doubling Koufax's road numbers is unnecessary to justify his induction into the Hall.
Koufax numbers as they are certainly are worthy of enshrinement without qualifications. I agree. Only if we throw out his home numbers during that five year period and instead replace them by doubling his road numbers does he possibly need the "Pucket rule" to get into the Hall.

He was a great pitcher over those five years regardless of where he pitched.

But he is immortal because of the combination of that talent and his home stadium. His home/road splits over that five year period are obscene. They would make Larry Walker blush.

And for the millionth time is likely a Hall of Famer even with taking his home park away from his numbers. He was a great pitcher.

Yeah but...