View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Were you ever in a barber shop quartet in Skokie Illinois?

Sorry couldn't resist.
No, Ben. When my family moved from Skokie in April, 1964, I was 9 years old. While I was never in a barber shop quartet, I do love to sing. I understand all the Powells may be traced to Wales, Great Britain. The Welsh are known for their enthusiastic, lusty singing. Fits me to a T. All the best to you my friend. Recently, my family traveled through Mitchell, South Dakota on I-90. I thought of you; however, it was about 4 am, so .......

Back to the 1961 Fleer, I have a real fondness for the set. I loved many of the tinted photos, and the colorful backgrounds. Among my favorites were Honus Wagner, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Hack Wilson. Really, the set introduced me to many of the greats of the game. Several of the photo selections were lousy, but Fleer did well for the most part. Let's face it--few sets are perfect, but then, has that ever stopped us?????

--- Brian Powell

PS--- I will always remember my older cousin, Greg. He was eight years old when he collected the '61 Fleer.. For some reason, the portrait of Cap Anson, with his long, rapier-pointed mustache, bothered Greg. He tore up every Anson he got, except one. During a visit at his home in Iowa, I was shuffling through a deck of his Fleers with him, and we came to another Cap Anson. He tells me, "Be my guest"; and I tore up the Anson. Glad it wasn't a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle!

Last edited by brian1961; 08-02-2020 at 02:16 PM.