View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 10:58 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Here's Some Additional Insights, Leon

I thought you would enjoy reading this from Mint Condition by Dave Jamieson (p. 38). It makes me think about the dream of owning something rare/expensive, owning it, and then reality hits:
"Gidwitz enjoyed the reputation given him by his purchase, but the card itself was another matter. Indeed, owning it was a lot like dealing with a $1 million bill. In his postauction rapture, he posed for a few giddy photos with the two-and-a-half-inch piece of cardboard, but then he had to figure out what to do with it. The card is almost too small to be displayed safely...
"He put it in a safety-deposit box, where it sat for nearly four years, until the time felt right and he sold it."

I believe I read recently that Mr. Kendrick, the current PSA 8 Wagner owner, could get $10 million for it. However, he has made it clear that he has NO interest in selling it. My point? If I had the money and could buy ANY PSA-graded Wagner I would be scared to death of keeping it in my condo. I'd have to do what Mike did: Put it in a bank vault and hope that no one ever breaks into it. Imagine thieves robbing the bank (with their COVID-19 masks on, of course) and saying to the president: We don't want any money. Just tell us which safe deposit box holds the Wagner that Mark owns!
Stay healthy.