View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Now that I own one, I'm curious to hear more about what anyone knows about the "Champions" grommet pennants. Greg has some and we have talked about this a bit. Based on my understanding, there are similar style St. Louis Cardinals and Browns pennants with a 1939 date and "Champions" pennants dating back to at least 1919 (I think). But no Champions pennants with dates later than 1939.

Does anyone know if each of these champions pennants has more than one known copy? Or is each unique?

I also wondered if they were not somehow tied to the 1939 baseball centennial. Perhaps they were part of a display somewhere? Maybe in St. Louis given the Cardinals and Browns pennants with the 1939 date.

If you have one or have a picture of one, I'd be interested in seeing it. I hear that there is a 1919 Black Sox version somewhere. Anyone have a picture of it?
Here’s a photo of the Halper version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5B89A20-8F83-4409-8037-58735C4C1981.jpg (16.1 KB, 135 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown