View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 03:10 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Right up my alley. I collect photos of U.S. Olympians and many of them are college athletes. I quickly scanned some, along with some I already had scanned. Very little alteration of the images other that some cropping and resizing for this site though they are still large. Most I scanned in color a few in grayscale for contrast. All are pre-WWII with a large number of them Pre-WWI. I will post some now and some more later today. For your enjoyment.

Lee Barnes - gold medal pole vault 1924. This photo shows him at the Olympic trials. The glare is in the photo. He had just graduated Hollywood H.S. in CA and would enter USC.

Attachment 414877

Chet Bowman - competed in the 100m in 1924, but no medal. Star running back on the Syracuse football team.

Attachment 414878

Sabin Carr - gold medal in the pole vault 1928. He went to Yale. I also have a photo of him in high school.

carr-redo.jpg

Wilson "Buster" Charles - finished fourth in the decathlon in 1932. A Native American he attended Haskell Institute. One of two Olympians to attend that school.

charles-redo.jpg

Clarence Childs - won a bronze medal in the hammer throw 1912. Attended Yale. The other person is Simon Gillis who competed in 1908 and 1912. Gillis was 37 at the time of this photo. Photo was taken at the Eastern Olympic Track Trials at Hilltop Park

childs-&-gillis-redo.jpg

Ralph Craig - Won gold in the 100m & 200m at the 1912 Olympics. Flag bearer during the opening ceremony 1948. Attended Michigan. One of my favorite photos

craig-r-redo.jpg

Eddie Eagan - The only Olympic athlete to win a gold medal in the summer (Boxing 1920) and winter (bobsled 1932). This is his Yale Captains photo. He was also a Rhodes Scholar and boxed at Oxford.

eagan-eddie.jpg

Dave Fall - Won a silver medal in diving at the 1924 games. He attended Stanford. The man next to him is Ernst Brandsten who competed in diving for Sweden at the 1912 Olympics. There is some card from the 1930's that the 'grading clowns' identify as Babe Ruth. It is actually this man.

fall-brandsten.jpg

John DeWitt - He won a silver medal in the hammer throw at the 1904 Olympics. He attended Princeton. He was a star football player there. Captain of the team and Walter Camp All American in 1903.

dewitt-cg-stevens-redo.jpg

Johnny Garrels -Won a silver medal in the 110m hurdles and bronze medal in the shotput at the 1908 Olympics. He played football at Michigan for Fielding Yost on the 1904 and 1905 'Point a Minute' teams. He was captain of the 1907 track team. This is a real photo post card, probably from 1905 or 1906.

garrels-redo.jpg

Marquis 'Bill' Horr - Won silver and bronze medals in the discus at the 1908 games. There were two styles of discus throw back then - one handed and two handed aka the Greek Style. He attended Syracuse where he was also a star football player. Member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

horr-redo.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-22-2020 at 03:41 AM.