View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 08:39 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Been challenging my assumptions recently about card collecting, prices, etc. (for example that 80s cards were basically worthless due to oversupply//modern artificial scarcity not sustainable--which they seem to continue to break glass ceilings) and thought maybe I should do the same with this one....

Can anyone honestly say that you've built a vintage set (70s and older) brick by brick, lot by lot, filling in singles here and there, etc. and were able to later resell a complete vintage set HIGHER than the dollars you put into it?

I've always thought (and still believe) that building a vintage set (from a financial standpoint only--not the joy that comes from it) is a losing proposition, i.e. the sum of the parts is LESS than the whole.

Anyone care to agree/disagree? Thanks! -Pat
Well, my feeling is, if you put a set together over the years, brick by brick, and it gave you great joy, why would you want to sell the set?

I took a long break from collecting - about 40 years - from 1978 until 2018. I really didn't keep up with what was going on in the collecting world. My whole feeling about the so-called "junk wax" era is that those cards may be junk to collectors who are in it for the money. But those cards were just as important to the kids collecting them, as 1950s cards were to kids collecting them then. If you're into collecting the cards, they should have just as much meaning as any other, if you liked those players, liked the designs, and like baseball.