View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 12:38 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I would suggest there is a middle ground where they: 1) grade accurately, for the most part; and 2) are not beholden to certain submitters, which is clearly the case right now. Grades are subjective. I get that. You can miss a good cheat job by a pro on occasion. But if you portray yourself as the arbiter of the card grade AND as neutral and independent, you should be that. I don't think, and am in fact pretty sure, that isn't even close to reality. Kind of like many other things - if you have the desire and the money, you can corrupt the process.
A. I don't think they portray themselves as anything other than a business offering a service to give opinion on the condition and authenticity of cards (as well as other things..)
I think all the companies are comfortable with other opinions being different to theirs, and you are not forced to accept their findings.
They give a quick breakdown of what they are looking for and giving a grade to, so that you can see their approx thinking. It is not a final judgement, it is an opinion that enough collectors agree with and value that they will pay money to have given.

B. I agree, money will buy you access, and with access and large amounts of money come the opportunity for corruption.
Show me an industry free from it.

I would say the very clear nature of display of the card in a slab, allowing such good viewing of it's properties, makes it more difficult for wildly innacurate grades to be passed along and not widely questioned.

The problem lies at the high end, whether that's in vintage and high end is nrmt-mt, or modern where it's gem mint. And the differences between those assigned grades can be difficult to see or argue.

So, some have and will continue to find ways to buy their way into rigging the system for their financial benefit. I accept it.
I still believe that if 50-100K people submit to any particular company, the overwhelming majority are getting a normal and honest service. Not EVERYONE is buying their way to a '10'.

The scoundrels should be caught where possible, but it's never going to be a 'clean' industry. No industry that involves the exchange of money is.

So, accept the limitations, help to bring mistakes to center stage, and enjoy these little bits of cardboard.

Or not and just write of your angst on a message board.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 09-03-2020 at 01:33 AM.