View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 08:36 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Since you're here discussing it, I have some other questions:
1) Are you looking to create your own grading company or licensing your process?
2) Is your service looking into autographed cards, in terms of whether the autograph damages the card in some way: surface impressions, mislaid sticker autos (bubbling), etc.
3) Once determining centering, how are you determining how much to debit the overall score based on centering. As we know, Beckett has the most stringent view on centering based on their grading scale, with PSA being more lenient. SGC, which used to be more lenient, has gotten much stricter recently.
4) Are you assigning score/rubrics to subgrades, and are you focused on the standard 4 subgrades (corners, edges, surface, centering) or have you determined there should be additional breakdowns of the subgrades into more categories?
5) Are you going to allow licensees (if applicable) to change your weighting scales to match their current assessments or written scoring rubrics?
6) Are you using the system to determine counterfeit stamps like Desert Shield or serial numbering size/font/placement? 1991 Topps would actually be a really interesting set to train your system on, since there are so many different back variations, recurring print defects, errors/corrections, Desert Shield stamped cards, ultraviolet backs, etc.
7) Can your imagery pick up "hidden" text like the Nolan Ryan Pacific cards or the Upper Deck X-Men Professor Xavier variants?
8) How are the following issues decremented: smeared ink print defects, production nicks, tilt, scratches, factory miscut edges, factory rough cuts, missing/lighter ink application, etc?

I think you're doing some neat things and will actually discover a bunch of unknown recurring print defects developing this process.

I have some pack fresh cards that I've gotten over the years from Vintage Breaks that I would send as a donation if it would help your cause. Or maybe you could hook up with the 1980s "all PSA 10s" guy on the Collector's Universe webpage to acquire a bunch of his stock for scanning a bunch of cards in order to train your system better. https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ss-psa-10-sets
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 09-12-2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add link